Lady Eagles end season with overtime loss to Rockwood

-A A +A
By The Staff

The Rockwood Lady Tigers recovered from a scoring drought just in time to knock off the Oakdale Lady Eagles in overtime, 34-33, at Rockwood Monday night in the first round of the District 3-A Tournament.

“It went into overtime and the winning score was 34, so that’s not a lot of points,” Oakdale Coach Fred Snow said. “When you are 11 down, you are able to catch up and I think we might have been ahead a time or two there at some point.

“I’m really proud of the effort the girls showed in the game.”

Rockwood took a 24-11 lead into the locker rooms at half time.

It couldn’t have worked better for the Lady Tigers as the second quarter saw the start of a scoring drought that lasted for more than 12 minutes and spanned throughout the second period, all of the third, and most of the fourth.

Rockwood finally busted its cold spell when senior guard Camryn Evans cut through the Oakdale defense for a lay-up with 3:45 left in regulation.

Meanwhile, the Lady Eagles were making the most of the Lady Tigers’ scoring drought.

“I am really proud of the way we battled back,” Snow said.

Oakdale had trouble early in the contest with Rockwood’s defense and couldn’t get its offense going.

The third frame saw the Lady Eagles build some momentum by scoring 8 points thanks to the efforts of Makalia James, Delaney Hicks, Destiny Ruppe and Hannah Coffey.

Oakdale continued to ride the rising wave of momentum into the fourth.

“I felt like defensively we played well,” Snow said. “We missed a lot of shots we normally make in the first half though, and I felt like that was why we didn’t have any more points than we did.”

A three-pointer and subsequent jump shot by Kaylee Headden knotted the score at 24 with a little over 6 minutes left to go.

Coffey added some insurance a little later to give the Lady Eagles their first lead of the game, 26-24.

Rockwood put up shots in an attempt to jumpstart its dying offense. For all the good it was doing, the basket might as well have had a lid on it.

“We had a chance,” Snow said. “But Rockwood has been playing really good basketball lately.

“We knew it was going to be tough to come down here and get a win.”

Oakdale’s defense compounded matters by forcing the Lady Tigers to hurry.

Evans’ clutch lay-up was the spark needed to reignite Rockwood’s efforts.

Karlie Nance answered with a jumper to retake a 28-26 lead for the Lady Eagles.

Evans responded with another hard charging lay-up.

In the last three minutes of the fourth, the teams tried to take the lead and keep it.

With time winding down, Coffey hit an off balance shot from the post while being heavily guarded by Rockwood post Cassidy Tilley.

Coffey was fouled on the attempt but couldn’t complete the 3-point play.

She got another opportunity on Oakdale’s next possession when she was fouled on a shot attempt.

Coffey went to the charity toss for two but could only come away with one, but it was enough to make the score 31-28 in the Lady Eagles’ favor.

A free throw by Evans brought Rockwood to within two but there was very little time left to capitalize.

With less than 43 seconds left, the Lady Tigers got another chance.

Quick passes set up Olivia Metcalfe who grabbed a pass as she floated through the top of the paint for a hook shot to tie things at 31.

Overtime consisted of heavy defense from both teams. This was evidenced in that the only points scored except for one basket by Coffey came from foul shots.

Coffey’s score from the post was the only one for Oakdale in extra time. Tilley knocked two free throws to make the score 33-all and Evans followed with one more for good measure to cement the outcome.

Oakdale (33) Francis 1, Ruppe 2, James 4, Coffey 12, Headden 8, Hicks 2.

Rockwood (34) Evans 11, Mackie 2, Metcalfe 15, Bowling 2, Tilley 4.